Saturday, May 31, 2008

Throw another shrimp on the barbie!

I love shrimp. We call them prawns back home, but hey - a rose by any other name, right? I don't think I have ever had shrimp that I didn't like, and I have had shrimp prepared many different ways. One of my favourites is a dish called drunken shrimp. In Singapore what they do is literally drown the live shrimp in a strong liquor (bai jiu), then steam them and serve them with ginger, scallions, and a sauce made from the liquor. The way the dish originated, you are not even supposed to steam them but rather eat them raw and, sometimes, alive. What they do is serve the shrimp swimming in bai jiu, and what you do is pick them out of the bowl, rip their heads off, peel them as quickly as possible and throw them in your mouth. Quite an experience.

I also like shrimp simply grilled - like so:


The colour of grilled shrimp is just so appetising, I don't know what to say.

Throw them on some spaghetti carbonara, et voila!*

*In case you are wondering why there is a sudden proliferation of pictures on this website, it is because I recently purchased a new camera, and the novelty has not yet worn off.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails