Friday, October 31, 2008

The Washington Round-Up

Now that I am leaving the tree-lined streets of the District of Columbia, I thought it only appropriate to summarise my impressions of the city's restaurants.

Caveat: Excluded from mention are 2941 and the Inn at Little Washington, which I figured too far out of the city for consideration, and a list of three restaurants I did not make it to that may have made the grade on these lists: Obelisk, Makoto and Dino.

My Fav Five:

1. Komi - $$$$. Without a doubt my favourite restaurant in DC and one of my favourites ever. Komi is nominally Greek food, but I like to think that what it does is present the bold and robust flavours of the Mediterranean though a filter - that filter being the sophisticated and elegant palate of chef Johnny Monis. Power tempered with grace, if you will. The food is always technically excellent, the service always attentive, the surroundings always cosy. If only it weren't so difficult to get a reservation.

2. Marcel's - $$$$$. Belgian-influenced food strongly rooted in the classical metier of French la grande cuisine, this Robert Wiedmaier expense-account establishment only marginally beat out the next restaurant for the number 2 spot. Mind-blowing not only for the quality of the food but the attention to detail. Excellent if expensive wine-list. Reviewed 8/30/2008.

3. Michel Richard Citronelle - $$$$$. Another expense-account establishment offering thoughtful and innovative food with absolutely stunning presentations. The care put into each dish is more than apparent. Again, an excellent if expensive wine-list. Reviewed 10/6/2008.

4. Blue Duck Tavern - $$$. A beautiful, beautiful space, with soaring ceilings and windows and a stunning open kitchen. Modern American tavern food - which means lots of grilled meats, braises, and wood-fired deliciousness. The best part about this place is that it is less expensive than you would expect. Also serves a great brunch, which is perhaps the best time to come because the interior looks a lot more lovely by daylight. Reviewed 1/3/2008.

5. Nora - $$$. The first certified organic restaurant in the USA, and out of all the ones I've been to, the only one for which I can truly say I tasted the difference. Simple, delicious preparations bursting with colour and flavour. Reviewed 8/19/2006.

Not Good / Do not Patronise:

Cityzen - $$$$$. This was actually decent to good, but wildly over-rated, and way too expensive.
Blacksalt - $$$$. Horrendous service, and an almost criminal treatment of fresh seafood. Reviewed 10/28/2008.
Ceiba - $$$. Very poor, almost shoddy execution on the part of the kitchen.
Cafe Atlantico - $$$$. Used to be good but jumped the shark.
Westend Bistro - $$$. How you can mess up braised short rib is beyond me.

It kills me to leave out so many other good restuarants. I used to love Cashion's Eat Place, but the food suffered when Ann Cashion left. Ray's the Steaks is technically in Arlington, but has the best steak inside the Beltway. 2 Amy's has managed to keep up the quality of their excellent pizza despite an obscene amount of Internet buzz and word-of-mouth. Le Paradou in the Penn Quarter for classical French cuisine, Palena in Cleveland Park for that funny thing we call New American. DC Coast for the beautiful, beautiful space and good seafood. I've had great times at TenPenh, 1789, and Cafe Milano. Persimmon in Bethesda if you want to venture a little further afield.

This wave of nostalgia I'm currently feeling may have clouded my judgment, but I hope this field guide provides some good suggestions for those who are thinking of visiting a city that I used to call home.

1 comments:

mushu said...

I'm going to agree with you on cafe atlantico. you already heard the disappointment in my voice.

Related Posts with Thumbnails