Sunday, December 21, 2008

Friends don't let friends listen to bad music

The new year is almost upon us, and everyone around me is making lists. Shopping lists, lists of resolutions for next year, best-of and worst-of lists from the year before – it goes on. I am not by nature a maker of lists, but just for the heck of it I made a short one – choosing five guilty pleasures from 2008. This was not a good year for music, I don’t think – not much came out that I really liked – but from among the drivel I picked out five of my favourite tracks, and thought of what I would like to eat and drink with them.

I’m Not Going to Teach Your Boyfriend (How To Dance With You) – Black Kids
I discovered the Black Kids relatively late, and I blame Jeff Schwartz entirely for neglecting to inform me of them when he himself came across them three months before I did. I then proceeded to listen to this track on repeat as well as talk the ears off anyone who would listen. A wailing frontman, dance-y pop with lots of synth, a melodic bassline and Go Team!-style group counting? I mean, what’s not to like?

Food pairing: Buo luo bao – “pineapple bun” in Chinese but it doesn’t actually contain any pineapple. It’s sort of like a Chinese muffin – the bottom is made of sweet bread dough; the top is made of sugar cookie dough, and is often crusted with sugar. There is usually custard inside the bun itself. An all around sweet treat.

Beverage pairing: Something saccharine-sweet yet deadly. I’m going to go with Firefly sweet-tea infused vodka, with three cubes of ice and a slice of lemon.

That’s Not My Name – The Ting Tings
Everyone around the world whose name has ever been forgotten, mispronounced or just plain disregarded – can relate to this song. It is also a great ditty to dance your cares away to and I associate this song with many fun nights at Liberation Dance Party – so, really, the choice of beverage pairing picked itself.

Food pairing: Something little-known and underappreciated, obviously, and also something that doesn’t give two hoots about what anyone else thinks in terms of style, presentation, healthiness - and is just generally bad-ass like that. I think I’d pick a chicken shawarma wrap with lots of onions, from one of those late night kebab stands.

Beverage pairing: I think you really need a drink that says, “it’s MY hot body, I do what I want”. It has to be deceptively simple and yet pack a punch, something that makes you sit up and take notice. And because this song reminds me so much of LDP, there is no other drink I’d rather have with it than a nice, chilled shot of Jaegermeister. It is the Devil’s brew itself in so many ways, but oh so delicious.

Lost Coastlines – Okkervil River
I was so mad that I couldn’t get to see this band at ACL when I went; I really liked their latest album and was looking forward to it. On the bright side, Jenna got to go in my stead, so that kind of counts as good enough. Almost.

Food pairing: What other food is better for introspection than a bar of Scharffen Berger 62% Cacao Mocha chocolate?

Beverage pairing: The melodic instrumentation and run-on lyrics scream a nice cold brew to me; not just any brew, but I'm thinking a solid, working class brew that has been appropriated by the painfully hipster among us. PBR would be too obvious a choice, so I’m going with a nice Shinerbock in a bottle – entirely fitting for this band from Texas.

Lights Out – Santogold
This is one of those songs that you’ll really like when you hear, but less than five minutes after it’s over you’ll completely forget how it went. Great song to put on the dinner party mix.

Food pairing: This song is pure penthouse cocktail hour on the Upper West Side, so definitely an hors d’oeuvre for this one. It might be blurring the line between food and beverage, but what about a nice watermelon gazpacho, served in a tall shot glass?

Beverage pairing: Something classy and classic, that’s both playful and lady-like at the same time. I’m going to have to plump for a gin gimlet here, but only if it’s made with Hendrick’s gin.

Blind – Hercules and Love Affair
Love it, love it, love it. Don't care if Nomi Ruiz is transgender, she has a hell of a body, and this is a hell of a song.

Food pairing: This makes me want to eat a salad of beets, frisee, mixed greens and pecans, topped with duck confit and drizzled with raspberry vinaigrette.

Beverage pairing: I think a nice classy red for this one, not too heavy or full-bodied. Perhaps the playfulness and the ephemerality of a Pinot Noir? I know just the Burgundy for this: the Musigni from Domaine Gros Frere et Soeur, Clos de Vougeot, 2003.

1 comments:

mushu said...

I will try to think of something. You know "American Boy" is going to be on that list. Does that mean I will be automatically disqualified? And btw, LOVE LOVE LOVE Firefly sweet-tea infused vodka and Ting Tings.

Related Posts with Thumbnails