Monday, September 22, 2008

Rose Water and Counter

We often write glowing reviews of places on this blog, sometimes pointing out minor criticisms. After a recent negative experience I was reflecting on some of my lesser adventures in dining.
Most recently I had a very negative experience at the restaurant Rose Water in Park Slope. As Jason once said to me "I am not impressed." I'd heard a lot of good things about this spot, and they are well known for their brunch (it is Park Slope after all.) So, since we were attempting to branch out it seemed like a good option. Just the opposite. I'm usually prepared to give a restaurant a lot of slack, but this spot totally rubbed me the wrong way. Problem number one, we were told it would be 20-25 minutes for a table, which is fine. However, we were not seated for 45 minutes, during which time I went from hungry to famished. As far as I could tell they were very understaffed, so that their ability to turn over tables was pretty much done for. Second problem: the room is not attractive, nay, not even a little. Third: Fruitfly infestation. They were all over the banquette and wall. I know they can be hard to get rid of, but that was unappetizing. Fourth: Their coffee was very, very bad. I know when I go to a diner that the coffee will be bad, but in a kind of bad in a good way sort of thing. This was just bad. Fifth: The food was not very good. My duck confit sandwich was quite greasy, which, once again I would expect this from a crappy breakfast, but this was a $14 sandwich. One wants a little more when it's twice as expensive. The "romesco" sauce was not good; it tasted like Goya brand tomato sauce. The sandwich was smothered with cheese, and the greens on it were totally wilted. I ate it, on account of being famished, but I can't say I enjoyed it. I should give credit where credit is due however and say that the side order of pancakes we ordered, with nectarines, pistachios and cardamom butter was quite good. In summary, I can not recommend this place, and will not be returning.

Counter, in the East Village is a "Vegetarian Bistro". Not to put too fine a point on it: this place blows. If I meet someone who has been there twice I will punch them in the teeth. The simple fact that I spent time and (someone else's) money there drives me crazy. Not only was the food vegetarian, which is not necessarily a deal breaker, it was absolutely miserable. If this restaurant were a dog I would shoot it, a la Old Yeller, to put it out of its rabid, horrible misery and to keep it from hurting any friends and loved ones who live nearby.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails