Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Chinatown 2.0


Lately, I've been spending a lot of time in the Chinatowns of my fair city. Perhaps it's Jason's beautiful photographs, or perhaps it was that trip to Phily when I ate all those duck tongues with wine flavor.

Either way, I've been craving the textures and ingredients that I can only find in another 'hood.  Last night was the pinnacle of my several trips because I came with friends.  The beauty of having a group is trying so many different and awesome and (for us) unusual items all at once.  We had roasted pork with wontons and noodles, roast duck, snails with black bean sauce, and a "casserole" of baby shrimp, bean curd and X.O. sauce.

As I have so often lamented, my words will never equal the beauty or the ridiculousness of having around 100 snail shells piling up, nor, more importantly, around 100 snail "doors" scattered around the table, clothes, and other food.  Those inedible little buggers were an entirely new dining hurdle.

I love this food because it is so different from that I which I can or would make for myself.  I love that they brought us peanuts to eat with our second round of beers.  I love the orange slices after that. I love the price... I guess I just get off on trying and enjoying new, fabulous things.  Even more, however, I enjoy sharing it with my good friends, who also don't mind the occasional snail door on their sleeve.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails