Wednesday, August 06, 2008

If wishes were fishes, DC edition

Places I'd like to eat at, in no particular order:

Minibar
6-seater (hence the name) afterthought of a restaurant that serves a 30-course tasting menu showcasing all the tricks (and the pretension) of molecular gastronomy. I'm usually not a fan of things that are what Morgan calls "unrecognizable as food", but hey, you can't knock it till you've tried it, right?

The Inn at Little Washington
Back in the days when I was enamoured with French classical cooking, and Italian simplicity of style, I often wondered, "What can New American do for me?" Nowadays I see so much in the American style that I like - it is healthy, eclectic, inventive and unrestricted by ethnic boundaries. All this, and more, is apparently showcased in what is one of Washington's perennial top ten restaurants.

Obelisk
With the closure of Galileo for extended renovations this is reportedly the best Italian in town, which may not be saying much. If I were in New York I could probably throw a stone and hit five Italian restaurants, and at least one of them would be amazing. As much as I cannot stand him, we need a Mario Batali in this town. People just don't seem to know, or get excited about, good Italian food, much less good regional Italian food.

Ray's the Steaks
A mecca of meat and apparently the best steak in town. I was out of town the last time the guys organised a trip out to Arlington for this one. No excuses, I have to make it here before my time in DC is up.

Makoto
DC's closest thing to Masa, except a third as expensive, and even then that makes it one of the more expensive places in town. They make you take your shoes off and wear special slippers, so either those slippers are ridiculously expensive, or the food is ridiculously good. I don't know, I'm not a psychic. Emi has promised to take me here so if you are reading this, dear, holy buckets you'd better come good on this one.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails