Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Tasting Notes 8/26/2008

Verbena, Brunello di Montalcino, Italy, 2001
That same weekend that Morgan and Meg were here, we went to the Blue Duck Tavern - one of my favourite DC restaurants - for what was quite, really, the perfect meal. Which is to say we ate well, drank well, and finished it off sitting outside sipping coffee and smoking cigars. We opened this bottle first and by common consensus this was the favoured of the two wines we had that night. Took a while to open but had good structure, aromas of earth, fruit and spices - with anise, raspberries and plums standing out. Very smooth drinking if lacking the power of a traditional Brunello.

Fontevecchia, Brunello di Montalcino, Italy, 1997
This was a bottle that Michael had given to me, and I had been saving it for a special occasion because I knew our tastes were similar and I would enjoy this. This was more aesthetically pleasing than the Verbena, with beautiful legs and a ruby-red colour. It was a little more subtle, with nice, rounded tannins and tasted of dark cherry and vanilla. If I had known what I do now, I would have swapped the order of the two - the earth and heft of the Verbena would have complemented the game and meats we were eating as entrees a little better. But this was still a fabulous wine in its own right, and will keep drinking for a long while to come.

Miner Family Vineyards, Chardonnay, USA, vintage unknown
I rarely ever drink white wines because most of the times my dining companions prefer red, and I know I do. Even in the summer I am perfectly happy drinking a Beaujolais or a CdP, or one of those fruit-forward wines from Spain or Italy. Drinking a white really does not occur to me. Yet there are times when you have to make compromises, and this lovely discovery was the byproduct of one such concession. I have the utmost respect for Miner Family Vineyards, I think they make great products, for reasonably affordable prices. This was another example, a clean, crisp oaky white with strong hints of apple and a long, tangy finish.

Tocai Friuliano, Ronco dei Tassi, Italy, 2005
Another beautiful discovery courtesy of yielding to popular opinion and getting a white wine. We had this wine at Centovini in New York, the first of three, and it seemed only appropriate to start with a white. Besides, there were three women at the table and there would have been many a disapproving look if I had not complied with their wishes. This wine was dramatic in colour and expression - the light made it apple-golden to the eye, and it had a strong, tangy taste of almonds and butterscotch.

Pelaverga Piccolo, "Basadone", Castello di Verduno, Italy, 2006
The second of the wines at Centovini - I was looking for a light red to transition towards the bigger, stronger wines I really wanted to be drinking. This served that purpose but was unfortunately not much to write home about. Balanced, fresh, semi-sweet, with berries and black pepper. Would probably have been good for sipping al fresco.

Aglianico del Vulture, "Valle del Noce", D'Angelo, Italy, 2003
The pick of the night, in my opinion but sadly not Shanaz's. Morgan had joined us by this time and he seemed pretty taken with the wine as well. I knew it was good when the person who showed up to present and open the bottle was not our regular waiter but instead the sommelier. He gave me that insider's smile and assured me that I had made a great choice. Robust, leathery red with strong acidity and hints of cloves and chocolate. Morgan tasted peppermint, which I thought was spot-on, and also quite a playful touch. I have not had much experience with Aglianico, but I think I will start paying more attention to it now.

1 comments:

Morgan said...

I said orange peel, clove and earl grey tea for the aglianico: "Like drinking Christmas morning..."

Related Posts with Thumbnails