Monday, August 04, 2008

Ode to the onion

There was a time in my life, when I was much younger, when I did not eat onions. Now I absolutely adore them. They say that converts have the strongest conviction because their beliefs have to be arrived at - and in my case I have certainly found that to be true.

The best thing about onions is the variety of ways you can manipulate them, and how marvellously they hold up to manipulation. You can eat them raw, you can undercook them, and you can cook the bejesus out of them and they will still be delicious.

I made myself a burger on ciabatta the other day and caramelized some onions to go with it. Jose taught me to caramelize them in the oven, but as my colleague Doug and I agreed: stovetop was the only way to go.


0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails