Monday, August 11, 2008

Wining and dining

I recently had the good fortune to attend a tasting at the Fairmont hotel in DC, where my company is planning to host its annual conference later this year. We were hosted wonderfully by JD, the exec chef, who kindly indulged me and allowed me to take photos of his work.


This was one of the appetiser choices, an avocado and corn timbale with portobello caviar. I loved this, it had a nice tartness and incredible texture, and the flavours went quite well together.


Another appetiser choice, a play on shrimp cocktail - jumbo chilled shrimp on a bed of cucumber and a horseradish cocktail. I would have liked the shrimp to have been seasoned a little more, but it is so hard to get the seasoning right for chilled items, and harder to adjust after it is chilled. Nicole did point out to me that I did not dip the shrimp in the cocktail like I should have and instead ate it plain, so I guess it may have been my own fault.


We had to try the crabcakes since that is a local specialty, and these were served with potato croquettes. An odd choice of pairings, and I am sad to say that the crabcakes were a little disappointing. I love a good crabcake, with juicy crab meat and a nice, sharp, acidic tang, seasoned well and seasoned strongly. Unfortunately for us, this was not it.


This was a play on traditional beef Wellington, but with lamb instead. Taste-wise probably my favourite of the entrees, but the lamb wound up a little over-cooked.


As we slid into the mid-afternoon the light in the Colonnade at the Fairmont began to take on a life of its own, and the shimmering and shading allowed for some beautiful photos of food bathed in a warm white summer glow. This was my favourite of the desserts, a blueberry mascarpone torte which I absolutely could not keep my hands off. I must have been lost to the conversation at this point, for all I could think about was how much I could get onto my spoon without it overflowing.


The dessert selection that we were lucky enough to try. The molten chocolate cake (pistachio center) was a very close second, and I had to arm-wrestle Nicole just to pick the blueberry torte for our event.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails